Friday, May 25, 2007

Happy Mother's Day


For my first Mother's Day, I got a Type I diabetes diagnosis. YIPPEE!!!! I can say this in jest now, but that day, when Dr. Mucha told me the blood-sugar spike wasn't just a blip, or Type II diabetes, but that my own immune system killed the cells in my pancreas that make insulin and they can NOT be repaired, I wasn't so happy. I was pretty much in a funk actually. I pretty much had a "poor me" weekend. I kept thinking that life isn't fair. Then I thought, who in the hell said life was fair way back in the beginning? Because all my life, I've always heard that life isn't fair...well, who said it would be?
I digress.
But I'm learning to live with the 10 finger pricks and 4 insulin injections each day.

The first injection took me 20 minutes. I just wasn't prepared to inflict pain on myself. I started with the syringe way in the air with my left hand while holding a chunck of belly fat with my right hand. I darn-near harpooned myself. Eric was just sitting there, hoping I wouldn't thrust the needle through my stomach.....Again, it's something I can laugh at now, but at the time, I was SO not laughing.
Eric thinks it's fun to check his blood sugar...like it's a game. He'll go for a 13-mile run and then check it. Of course, it's still well within the range it should be, but he gets a kick out of it.
I don't....not yet.

Thankfully the twins are healthy, as is Eric.

Someone told me all this stuff I'm been going through builds character, so..um...I'm good in the "character" department.

Anyway, here's a quasi- family photo....funny!!!! We keep meaning to get professional photos of the babies...but there just doesn't seem to be enough time!

No comments: