Friday, December 01, 2006

BIG BIG Surprise

Eric and I had the surprise of our lives on Tuesday, November 28. We had our first ultrasound that day. We had been preparing for it for a long time. We decided not to find out the sex of the baby...but I was getting weak, and I decided I wanted to know. To keep me strong, Eric bought me a shirt to wear to the ultrasound that said, "Not Finding Out."
Once we got there, I hopped up on the table, she lathered my belly with the jelly and the first words out of her mouth I will never forget: So, you're having twins.....the words just sat there, soaking up all the oxygen in the room. Eric and I both started to laugh. We thought for sure this kind lady is just trying to break the ice with a joke. But she assured us that twins is not something to joke about.
I started to sob, scarily thinking two of everything. I looked over at Eric, who was grinning from ear to ear, rejoicing with two of everything!
In that hour-long exam, during which we found out that both Baby A and Baby B are healthy, my mind was flooded with a million thoughts....from two cribs, all the way to two college tuitions....then I came back to the room and saw Eric's smiling face. He was holding my hand and reassuring me that everything would be OK. I wasn't so sure. I still could NOT believe it.....TWINS! They don't run in either of our families. The ultrasound technician said, "It has to start somewhere." I thought to myself, Look lady, don't start with the jokes now. You weren't joking when you told us about the twins!
Eric summed it up the best: "God has a sense of humor." AMEN to that.
When we left the appt., I had to go to basketball practice and I didn't know how I could do it. I saw Marcus and he asked if I was OK. I told him no....I could barely get the words out: We're having twins. He just beamed. He said he was the happiest uncle in the world. The players all wondered why I was crying...when I finally decided to tell them, the hellions turned into little angels for 10 minutes and said things like, "What a blessing from God." I couldn't believe these were my players...it was bizarre.
Now that I've had a couple days to process the whole thing, I realize this: Before Tuesday, I was just a pregnant woman. After Tuesday, I was two babies' mommy. As soon as I saw them moving during the ultrasound, I instantly became maternal....they were MY babies! I want nothing more than to have two healthy babies. So far, so good. One weighs 9 ounces, one weighs 10 ounces.
So....for all that has been, thanks! For all that shall be, YES!

No comments: